Sunday, January 27, 2013

No Baggage Here


One of the hardest things to ever do is let go of any baggage that we feel we might have.  It can be hard to shake those voices in our head that say there is something wrong with us or that there is something in our history to be ashamed of.  We've all had to be face to face with shame.  And anyone who has ever worked through it would probably say it's one of the most empowering things they've ever done. 

_________________________________________________________________________________

Recently, as I've been learning about emotions, I realized my study was connected with the monumental topic of vulnerability. (Light bulb!)  I was a shy, sensitive child who grew up in an environment where I did not learn to feel emotionally safe.  I finally realized over the last couple of weeks what that feeling is and why I've been closed off both to being vulnerable within myself and vulnerable with other people. 

I started looking back at why I have felt so unsafe so much of the time.  All of my usual insecurities came back: will people like me, am I completely unhealthy, do I have what it takes to create healthy relationships, will I pass my baggage onto my children, can I be strong enough, whole enough, likable enough, good enough for...whatever? 

Then, in another flash of light, I realized I am not my baggage.  Unsafe and unworthy is baggage I have carried with me, but it is not me.  I began to separate the labels and I looked around at my life with new eyes.  Doing that allowed me to answer those questions, drop my baggage, and step away from it.  I feel whole and empowered.  I know who I am.  I am a daughter of God, with beauty, strength, ability, and value.  I can be the best I can be right now, and that is enough.  In fact, it is better than I thought it was.



No comments:

Post a Comment